Monday, December 8, 2008

The Lessons of Katrina - November 2005

The Lessons of Katrina
There have been many lessons and growth opportunities for me and mine in the wake of Katrina. Some logistical, some emotional, some spiritual. I am going to share a few with you here that have been powerful for sure.
Don't Rely on Cell Phones:
I remember when I was younger, before we all had cell phones, if I was going on a trip I would let my mother know the name and phone number of my destination. Today, we depend so heavily on our cell phones that no one really knows were we are going most of the time. When Katrina hit, not only did it take out the cell towers so that the people who were still in the hurricane zone could not use their phones, but it also took out the area codes 228, 504, and 985 Bell South Switches making it impossible to call even outside of the area. You see if a 228 cell phone is in Birmingham and is trying to call a number in Los Angeles, the call is routed through the 228 switch. So if the 228 switch is down, the call cannot be placed. Let your close family and closest friends know where you are going, so they can call you directly in case of an emergency.

Know Your Values and What is Most Important to You.
I am not talking about the values that other people say you should have, I am talking about what it is that you truly value. The things in your life that you know are in line with who you are and what is important to you. Here are my top 5 values. Family, Fun, Authenticity, Prosperity, and Community. What are your top 5 values? If you have any trouble answering this question e-mail me for a work sheet called True Values that will help you identify them. Knowing your values allows you to confidently make decisions that are in line with the path that God has laid out for you. Your values are the deepest part of you which is your connection to God.
Allow Gods Blessings
The one of the most difficult aspects of our Katrina Adventure has been allowing so many people to give us so many things including their time, money, love, support and things. You see, when you tend to be the one giving, receiving is not as simple as it sounds. When my Katrina Angel Kristy approached me at the shelter and asked me if she could help us re-build our lives here in Birmingham, at first, I turned her down flat. I said, "We are so grateful for the offer, but we are very resourceful and we will be able to figure it all out just fine. Maybe you should help someone who really needs it." Kristy, thank God, does not rattle easily as she is a seasoned attorney and currently a stay at home mom, two very important jobs requiring advanced questioning and negotiation skills, asked me the following list of questions
Was your home destroyed? "Yes" I replied
Do you have family here to help you? "No" I replied
Do you have any place to stay? "Yes", I proudly replied, "we rented an apartment."
Do you have any furnishings at all? "Well, no"
Do you know anyone here in Birmingham? That's when I broke. It suddenly became clear to me that I did need help and that God had sent Kristy to me with her persistent self to be the catalyst of his work. Many tears were shed and Kristy got very busy on our behalf. Truck load after Truck load she and her husband Danny pulled up to our little apartment with clothes, shoes, food, furniture, kitchenware etc... Always delivered with a friendly smile and a ton of empathy without one single ounce of pity.
This has by far been the biggest lesson for me and my husband. In order to receive God's blessings, we have to be able to allow God's blessings. Being strong, independent and resilient are certainly wonderful character traits, but when it comes to the abundance of gifts and happiness that God has for us, humility, humbleness and acceptance are the orders of the day.
When You Have an Idea, Act on It
I am haunted by my plans. You know the plans I had that I was going to do as soon as I had time. Like take the kids Floundering (fishing for flounder using a spear and a lantern under a full moon) like my Uncle used to take me. I had plans to purchase my son a Sunfish sailboat so he could said next summer. I had plans to visit my neighbor, 92 year old Mrs. Necaise, who knew me before I was born, to bring her some lemon squares that she likes so much. I had plans to ride my Bike with Megan from Cedar Point all the way to Clermont Harbor and take the whole day, stopping to eat at a beach front restaurant called the Dock of the Bay. I had plans to bring a Thank You Card to the three sweet women who work at the Dollar Store for allowing Jolie and I to have a bake sale to raise money for Jolie's Competition Dance Team to go to their National Competition in San Antonio.
I had plans, a lot of plans.
Well, we never did take this kids Floundering, my son will not have a Sunfish to sail on in the Bay again this coming summer. My 92 year old neighbor had water up to her neck during the storm and has left town to stay with her sister in Colorado. I am sure I will never see her again. Cedar Point, Clermont Harbor and The Dock of the Bay are all gone having been wiped off the face of the earth by a 35 foot tidal surge. My Daughters Dance Team is not competing this year and will never be a team again since most of the 45 girls on the team are scattered across the country re-building their lives. And as for the clerks at the dollar store, they are all three victims of Katrina in the ultimate sense of the word.
Stop planning and get out there. Stop thinking about picking up the phone and do it. Because, as I am living proof, tomorrow you might not have the opportunity.
Create a Vision for Your Life That Does Not Center Around Places, People or Things.
Think bigger than that. What will the places, people and things that you attract into your life really bring you? Focus on that. Focus on the happiness of being in a place that you love, even if you are not their yet. Focus on the joy it is to be with the people you love and who love you, even when you are not with them. Focus on the wonderful feeling of peace you get being surrounded by your dream home and all of the wonderful things inside it. Its the happiness, joy and peace that are the real goals. Look past your goals and focus on what achieving them will really bring you.
Ask your self these questions:
Do I have an emergency plan in the case that my cell phone does not work?
Do I know what my and my families’ values really are and exactly what is most important to me?
Am I able to receive the blessings that God wants to give me?
What have I been wanting to do in my area and in my life that I have not done? What neighbor or friend have I been wanting to visit with that I have not gotten around to?
What vision do I have for my life, even if my life was turned upside down in a matter of hours?
I know this is some heavy stuff and some hard work, but trust me when I tell you that as stable as your life is right now, tomorrow could bring something entirely different. Don't live in fear, but be prepared.

Thank you so much for your support and your love and especially your prayers. I hope there was something valuable for you here.
With LoveJille
Thoughts
Out of your vulnerabilities will come your strength.- Sigmund Freud
The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.- Dolly Parton
Some people think it's holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it's letting go.- Sylvia Robinson
I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.- Maya Angelou

No comments: